I'm a massive fan of catch and release. I consider it one of the purest forms of angling. It allows me to enjoy the thrill of landing the big one while still leaving the fish alive to be caught another day. Believe it or not, the most important tool when it comes to catch and release is not the fishing pole. What you really need is the best fishing pliers.
The faster that you reel in your fish, the less stress it will experience. That means that it has a higher chance of survival once you release the fish back into the water. You also have to work fast and confidently to unhook the fish. That's where your pliers come in.
What Features Should I Look for in the Best Fishing Pliers?
While you're searching for the best fishing pliers, there are a few things that you should pay attention to.a
The most important thing
What your pliers are made of matters. We like to see stainless steel or high-grade aluminum in the best fishing pliers. You should look for a pair of pliers that can help you to unhook the fishing line and release the catch from your hook without having to worry about corrosion or rust.
Companies make most fishing pliers with airport-grade aluminum these days. We consider aluminum the best material for fishing pliers because of its rigidness and the fact that it doesn't easily rust. Aluminum is also super lightweight.
As tough as you are
Durability is another feature that you should look for. All of the best fishing pliers on our list are incredibly durable.
Every weight is counted
Weight is also important, and not just for your sinkers and lures. You want your fishing pliers to be as light as possible. The pliers on our list this year range from 1.6 ounces to 8.8 ounces.
Getting a grip
When it comes to the handles or the grip of your pliers, you want something comfortable to hold that is also lightweight. As I mentioned earlier, they make most of the best fishing pliers with aluminum because it's super strong and light.
Some pliers will have molded finger grips, while others have a rubber or plastic covering for the grip. It's really just a matter of personal preference with this one.
As you will see in a minute, some of the best fishing pliers come with additional tools. The one essential tool is line cutters. All of the pliers on our list this year come with line cutters, and all of them can handle even heavy braided line.
A lanyard isn't necessary, but it's nice to have, and it could keep you from losing your pliers overboard. All of the pliers on our list this year come with lanyards and protective sheaths.
What Are the Uses for the Best Fishing Pliers?
The best fishing pliers can do a whole lot of things. We like to call them the jack of all trades. Here are just a few of the things that you can do with the right fishing pliers.
Our Review Process
When we compiled our list of the best fishing pliers this year, we started by looking at all of the top-selling pliers on the market. We then narrowed down our list based on professional and consumer reviews. We also compared the price and features of each of the pliers.
All of the pliers on our list meet our standards for the best fishing pliers. Our goal is to help you find the pliers that will meet your individual needs.
The Top 7 Best Fishing Pliers
In no particular order, here are our favorite fishing pliers of the year.
1. Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- Add Piscifun fishing pliers to your fishing arsenal. Make your hook removal much easier. Fish on!
- Anti-Corrosion Aluminum - The aircraft-grade anodized aluminum delivers excellent corrosion resistance, great for long term use without any signs of oxidation and rust. CNC cut handles offer extreme light feeling and durability.
- Spring Loaded Pliers - Keeps the pliers open freely, super easy to use by one hand. The titanium coated stainless steel jaws come with split ring tip, strong enough for removing hooks and splitting rings.
- Tungsten Carbide Cutters - The Sharpest Tungsten Carbide Cutters (which are fully replaceable) of any pliers on the market, make it extremely easy to cut the strongest braided lines, the heaviest mono leader, the fly lines and backing lines.
- Excellent Carrying Around Pliers - Come with Nylon Sheath, Coiled Lanyard and Belt Loop Clasp makes the pliers extremely convenient to carry around and secure with you. The Belt Loop on the back of the sheath makes it safer when being attached to the belt.
First up on our list of the best fishing pliers is Piscifun. The Piscifun spring-loaded pliers feature aircraft-grade anodized aluminum that is corrosion resistant. So you shouldn't see any signs of oxidation or rust with these. The pliers measure 7.1 inches long.
One of the things that we love about these pliers is that they have titanium coated stainless steel jaws that come with a split ring tip. The jaws are plenty strong enough to remove hooks and split rings.
Another great feature of these pliers is that they have the sharpest tungsten carbide cutters on the market, which are also fully replaceable. This will allow you to cut the strongest braided lines, the heaviest mono leader, the fly lines, and backing lines.
The Piscifun pliers are easy to carry around too, thanks to the coiled lanyard and the belt loop sheath. And they're lightweight, weighing just 5.6 ounces.
These pliers cost a few dollars more than most of the other best fishing pliers on our list, but they're still very affordable. They also get excellent professional and consumer reviews. Amazon customers rate them 4.4 out of 5 stars.
The majority of people have great things to say about the Piscifun pliers, especially because they're lightweight and durable. One of the complaints about them is that the cutter's position is excessively upward.
2. KastKing Cutthroat 7-Inch Fishing Pliers
- Corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel - The KastKing Cutthroat pliers are made from corrosion resistant 420 stainless steel and coated with a tough Teflon coating for added protection. Our stainless steel pliers are 46% harder than aluminum pliers and nearly 3 times the bending strength of aluminum pliers. Designed for long term performance, these pliers are ideal for both freshwater and harsh saltwater environments.
- Tungsten Carbide Cutters - Super hard tungsten carbide cutters slice though mono, fluorocarbon, or braid with ease. Side mounted anvil cutters for easy access, these cutters allow you to cut your tag end as close to the knot as you desire without any obstructions and the raised surface behind the blade ensures your line will always be in the cutting zone.
- Multi-Function Jaws - Grab and remove any fish hook with the serrated jaws or take advantage of the crimping slots to secure a split shot weight or build a steel leader. To cinch down a knot quickly and safely, insert your hook into one of the holes in the jaws and pull on your hook to create a tight knot. Available in both a straight nose and a Split ring nose design.
- Rubber Handle - The ergonomic textured rubber handle provides comfort and control. A thin grip profile and the spring loaded jaws allow for easy one hand use without worrying about the pliers slipping out of your hands.
- Sheath/Lanyard Included - Includes a custom molded sheath with belt clip to ensure your investment is protected from normal wear and tear. Clip on to your belt or the waistband of your shorts, to make sure you have quick access when a fish is on the line and the coiled lanyard will ensure your pliers don't fall overboard!
KastKing makes another of the best fishing pliers this year. They made these pliers with corrosion-resistant 420 stainless steel, and they coated it with a tough Teflon coating for added protection. KastKing says that these pliers are 46 percent harder than aluminum pliers with three times the bending strength.
The super-hard tungsten carbide cutters can easily slice through mono, fluorocarbon, and braid. They do a pretty decent job cutting wire too. You can also get these pliers with either a straight nose or a split ring nose design.
The jaws on these pliers offer plenty of teeth which provides an excellent grip with crimping tools and a splitting ring tip. KastKing says that you can also tighten knots by inserting the hooks through the eyes drilled in the jaws.
The KastKing pliers measure 7 inches long, and they weigh 8.8 ounces. Another thing that we love about these pliers is that they have an ergonomic rubber handle with spring-loaded jaws that allow for easy one-handed use.
These pliers come with a sheath and lanyard, so you don't have to worry about losing them overboard.
The KastKing pliers cost a few bucks more than most of the other best fishing pliers on our list, but they're still pretty affordable. They also get some truly outstanding professional and consumer reviews. Amazon customers rate these pliers a whopping 4.8 out of 5 stars.
The vast majority of people rave about these pliers, many of them commenting that they are superior to anything else on the market. If there's any downside to them, it could be that they sort of lag behind regular wire cutters for clipping steel leader or hooks.
3. Booms Fishing X1 Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- Aluminum and Corrosion Resistant: Booms Fishing aluminum fishing pliers comes from anodized aluminum material for saltwater or freshwater environments. No rust ,No corrosion any more
- Braided Line Cutter: Replaceable 70+ HRC tungsten carbide cutters are perfect for slicing through tough braided line
- Inset Stainless Steel jaws: Coated carbon stainless steel inserts not only give the jaws ultimate strength and durability,but also the serrated jaws grip tight to remove hooks and protect you hand don¡¯t hurt by triple fishhook
- Easy Use,Easy Carry: Spring loaded handle for easy one handed use,we plus a steel wire coiled lanyard and nylon holster to always keep this handy tool within easy reach and security
- Better Quality, Comprehensive Guarantee: Booms Fishing X1 total length reach 7.87 inches which not only long than others,but the wire coiled lanyard Maximum withstand tension reached 40 lbs when others can¡¯t afford even 12 lbs
Next up on our list of the best fishing pliers is the Booms Fishing X1. These pliers feature an anodized aluminum material that is ideal for both fresh and saltwater.
Like the other best fishing pliers on our list, these have tungsten carbide cutters that can slice right through tough braided line. The spring-loaded handles are easy to use with just one hand.
One unique thing about these pliers is that they are longer than the others. They measure 7.87 inches long, and they weigh just 7 ounces.
These pliers also come with a steel wire coiled lanyard and a nylon holster so you can always keep them within reach. Most lanyards are lucky if they can handle 10 pounds of tension, but this one can take 40 pounds of tension.
Another thing that we like about the Booms Fishing X1 is that it has a safety locking feature that prevents the pliers from opening in your pocket.
Of all of the best fishing pliers on our list, these are the most budget-friendly. They get pretty great professional and consumer reviews too. Amazon customers rate them 4.4 out of 5 stars.
These pliers get the highest marks for value for the money. These pliers aren't the highest quality, but they certainly get the job done. One of the complaints about them is that they are a bit small if you have very large hands.
4. Strikebait Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- COMFORTABLE AND EASY TO USE: These lightweight 7 inch aluminum pliers with 2 ⅜ inch jaw are comfortable to hold and easy to leverage. Spring loaded for comfortable one handed operation. The non slip rubberized handles provide a solid grip even with wet or slippery hands
- DESIGNED FOR SERIOUS ANGLERS: Our heavy duty fisherman tool is strong, sturdy and built to last. The high quality construction features high strength aluminum handles and tungsten jaws. Machine made for precision quality, incredible strength and reliable durability
- WON'T RUST EVEN WHEN EXPOSED TO SALTWATER: Pliers are made from the best aircraft grade anodized aluminum for extreme rust and corrosion resistance no matter how wet they get. Can take a beating on all kind of waters from freshwater to the harshest salty environments
- EASY CLEAN CUTS EVERY TIME: The replaceable Tungsten carbide cutters are sharp and hard enough to slice through any type of fishing line with ease. From braided to backing lines, fluorocarbon to fly, monofilament and even wires, our fishing line cutter has got you covered!
- THE SWISS ARMY KNIFE OF FISHING TACKLE: Few tools or accessories can perform as many tasks. Remove hooks, set up split rings and grip, strip, crimp, pull and cutting lines. The belt holster and coiled lanyard keep pliers within reach and prevent being dropped in the water
Strikebait makes our next contender for the best fishing pliers. The company calls these pliers "the Swiss army knife of fishing tackle" because this one tool can do so much. These pliers can remove hooks, set up split rings and grip, strip, crimp, and pull and cut lines.
The Strikebait pliers are spring-loaded, so you can use them easily with one hand. The non-slip rubber handles offer a solid grip even when you use them with wet or slippery hands. They measure 7 inches, and they weigh just 5.6 ounces.
Strikebait makes these pliers with the best aircraft-grade anodized aluminum, so they won't rust even if you use them in saltwater.
Another thing that we love about these pliers is that they come with replaceable Tungsten carbide cutters that are hard and sharp enough to easily slice through everything from braided to backing lines, fly to fluorocarbon, monofilament, and even wires.
These pliers also come with a belt holster and coiled lanyard.
Compared to the other best fishing pliers on our list, these are moderately priced. And like the others, these get excellent professional and consumer reviews. Amazon customers rate them a whopping 4.9 out of 5 stars. They get the highest marks for easy to hold, ergonomic, and lightweight.
The vast majority of people rave about these pliers, especially because they are so versatile. It's really tough to find negative reviews for them. But some people complained that these pliers could be tricky to use if you have very small hands.
5. Wolfyok Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- Aluminum and Corrosion Resistant: Wolfyok Fishing Plier is made from Air-Craft Grade aluminum material for a great capability of saltwater resistance. No rust, no corrosion, best for freshwater and saltwater environment
- Durable Stainless Steel Jaws: Our titanium - coated stainless steel jaws which is more durable, split ring design provides easy removal of rings from a bait or hook
- Replaceable Tungsten Carbide Cutters: Super sharp tungsten carbide cutters with exceptional cutting power, making it extremely easy to cut the strongest braided lines and heaviest mono leader
- Ergonomic Design: Special anti-slip and spring loaded handle designs make it easy to cut fishing line and remove the hook, shaped handles also for a secure grip, a helpful tool for fishermen.
- Never Lose: Bright colors for visibility, comes with a wire coiled lanyard and woven nylon sheath, which is convenient for fishermen to store and use safely. The nylon sheath protects the pliers from being scratched. You will never lose your pliers. 【Warranty】 Wolfyok offers one year warranty for all the item it sells and pursues the best customer service on Amazon.
Wolfyok makes our next contender for the best fishing pliers this year. They make these pliers with aircraft-grade aluminum that won't show rust or corrosion whether you use them in fresh or saltwater.
These pliers also feature durable titanium-coated stainless steel jaws with a split ring design which provides easy removal of rings from a hook.
One unique thing about these pliers is that their tungsten carbide cutters are on the side of the tool. This is a bit unusual, but it still works great at cutting through even the toughest braided line.
We also love the ergonomic shape of the spring-loaded handles. If you are looking for lightweight fishing pliers, then you can't go wrong with Wolfyok. These pliers only weigh 4 ounces.
The Wolfyok pliers come with a wire coiled lanyard and a woven nylon sheath. Wolfyok also offers a one-year warranty on these pliers.
The Wolfyok pliers are one of the cheapest on our list, but oh man, do people love them! Like the other best fishing pliers on our list, these get killer professional and consumer reviews. Amazon customers rate them 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Most people have great things to say about these pliers, especially about the full aluminum construction and black-coated hook extractor end piece. People also love how lightweight these are. One complaint about them is that some people saw rust spots.
6. Rompson F1 Stainless Steel Fishing Pliers
- Rompson fishing pliers work well and inexpensive! This nice Rompson fishing pliers set is made of 3cr13 stainless steel,strong and durable.
- 2 Rompson pliers(Red and Black) in package.Plastic fishing lanyards, nylon sheath also included,prevent the tools dropping into water.
- Lightweight body,very easy to operate.Slick design and long straight needle nose with dented teeth can help you drag/pick lines or remove deeply swallowed hooks from small-mouth fish.
- Cutters are sharp enough for cutting mono or braided fishing lines.Please do not cut any metal lines ,metal items will damage the cutter blades .Soft rubbery handles provide comfortable grip.
- We strongly advise customers to clean and oil Rompson fishing tools after use, especially used in saltwater.Appropriate maintenance will minimize wear and tear. 3-months money back guarantee for all Rompson pliers(any man-made sabotage excepted),your satisfaction is our concern.
Please contact us without any hesitation if you have any question of the product.So we can help you out.
The Rompson F1 Stainless Steel Fishing Pliers are next up on our list of the best fishing pliers. These pliers are quality stainless steel with soft rubbery spring-loaded handles.
The Rompson pliers are unbelievably lightweight, weighing just 1.6 ounces.
These pliers also come with a plastic lanyard and a nylon sheath for protection and safety.
One of the things that we love about these pliers is that they're super cheap. They do, however, require a little more maintenance than the others on our list. After you use them, especially if you use them in salt water, you should clean and oil the tool. This maintenance will minimize the wear and tear.
The Rompson pliers also come with a three-month money-back guarantee.
These are the cheapest of all of the best fishing pliers on our list. But like the others, they get excellent professional and consumer reviews. Amazon customers rate them 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Most people have great things to say about the Rompson pliers, especially the fact that they are high quality at an affordable price. One of the complaints about them is that they require more maintenance than the more expensive pliers.
7. MadBite KastKing Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- ULTRA BRIGHT 18000 millicandela LED bulb focuses an incredibly bright beam of light directly on the work whether you use the MadBrite pliers as a braid line cutter or fishing plier. Light turns on with a simple twist. When the night bite is on, it's time for MadBite MadBrite lighted fishing pliers!
- DURABLE Aluminum fishing pliers with powerful light for hook pulling or braided line cutting at night. 7.5'' size offers more grip and leverage for faster, cleaner cutting and more force for easy crimping. MadBite hard anodized aluminum fish pliers and fishing line cutters outlasts other brands, stay bright, and do not fade. Features split ring tool and stainless steel saltwater corrosion resistant components.
- LIGHT-WEIGHT 6.5 ounce aerospace-grade aluminum that allows for quick hook removal from toothy fish. 5-year warranty.
- SPRING-LOADED and well-constructed with super sharp tungsten carbide cutters and non-slip silicone grip handles for effortless use. Unlike cheap rubber or plastic handles on other fishing tools, our superior silicone grips do not slip, retain odors, or corrode.
- CONVENIENT sized plier for wade fishing, kayak fishing, surf fishing, or bank fishing at night. MadBite pliers 7.5'' long and a 3.2'' jaw length is compact, yet gives you a better grip than others. Available in various colors. Use standard LR41 batteries, included.
Our final contender for the best fishing pliers this year is the MadBite KastKing Aluminum Fishing Pliers.
The unique thing about these pliers is that they come with an ultra-bright LED bulb. So these are ideal for night time fishing. The LED light is completely waterproof too, and it runs on a watch battery that comes with the tool.
The pliers measure 7.5 inches long, and they weigh just 6.5 ounces. And they feature aerospace-grade aluminum alloy, stainless steel jaws, and tungsten carbide cutters that can easily cut through braided line.
The spring-loaded non-slip silicone grip handles are easy to use with just one hand.
We also love that these pliers are available in three bold colors: gold, blue, and red. They also come with a lanyard and sheath for safety.
Compared to the other best fishing pliers on our list, these are moderately priced. They also get killer professional and consumer reviews. Amazon customers rate these pliers 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Most people love these pliers, especially the LED light feature and durability. One of the only complaints about them is that some people didn't like the tooth at the tip of the pliers. It's there to split rings, but some anglers thought it got in the way of other functions.
A Final Thought on the Best Fishing Pliers
Hopefully, we've helped you narrow down your search for the best fishing pliers.
We highly recommend all seven of the pliers on our list this year. You really can't go wrong with any of them. But if you twisted my arm and asked me to pick the overall best of the best, I'd have to say the KastKing Cutthroat pliers. They do everything that you could possibly ask of fishing pliers, and they get the best overall reviews.
Now we want to hear from you! Let us know in the comments section below what you think of our list. And share with our readers your favorite pick. Do you have any great tips for fishing newbies? Share that too!
Have a great day and happy fishing!