If you’re a fly-fishing enthusiast or extreme angler, chances are you know which brands to trust when it comes to selecting wading gear. And on your search for the best waders, you may have come across the Orvis Encounter Waders. An Orvis Encounter Waders review will tell you that these are among the most budget-friendly options available.
We’re all for products that are easy on the wallet, but when it comes to selecting protective gear, the item should do more than massage our wallets. So, the real question is, do the Orvis Encounter Waders live up to expectations? There’s only one way to find out.
Orvis Encounter Waders: Everything You Need to Know
A reliable Orvis Encounter Waders review will give you some background information about the company. With this information, you’ll know what to expect in terms of quality and customer service.
We did some digging and found out some rather interesting things about the Orvis company. One of the things that stood out for us is this company’s vast experience.
Launched in 1856, the company has over 150 years of experience in the business. Therefore, there’s no doubt they know a thing or two about what quality fly-fishing equipment is.
And that’s not all. According to Orvis, their website is an award-winning site serving over 32 million customers every year — a true testament of the brand’s reputation.
Yes. The brand is impressive. But our main concern is the Ovis Encounter Waders. Do they live up to the brand’s reputation? Let’s find out.
Who would benefit from the Orvis Encounter Waders?
The Orvis Encounter Waders were designed for the budget-minded angler. The company strives to offer you a pair of affordable waders without compromising on the quality.
For this reason, you’ll notice that these waders have similar features to what you’d expect from high-end brands.
The waders are also well-suited to anglers who fish in warm weather conditions. They’re designed to be waterproof and breathable to make fishing in the summer a comfortable and fun experience.
Orvis Encounter Waders features
While gathering information for this Orvis Encounter Waders review, we weren’t expecting them to have impressive features due to their price. But that wasn’t the case. Orvis didn’t come to play. And based on their characteristics, there’s no doubt they’re giving the competition a run for their money.
These waders feature belt loops and an elastic wading belt. These allow you to tighten the waders around your waist to reduce the amount of water that gets in should you fall into the water.
Furthermore, the waders have adjustable braces that allow you to adjust the height. We also love that they include a “kangaroo-style” handwarmer pocket. Also, the waders feature a zippered mesh pocket that you can use to store your fly box and other small items.
The waders also come with elasticized gravel guards at the bottom. The guards pull over the top of your boots to prevent grit and sand from getting inside your shoes. What’s more, the waders come with ergonomically designed stocking feet that are soft, spacious, and comfortable.
Not to mention, the waders feature a breathable four-layer nylon construction that’s excellent for enhancing breathability and comfort.
If you prefer fly-fishing with your family, you’ll love that there are Orvis Encounter waders for men, women, and kids. And the best part is that for each category, there are different sizes to choose from. This feature makes it easier to find the perfect fit for everyone regardless of their body frame and height.
We’re also happy to report that Orvis doesn’t compromise on comfort. Along with the breathable material that keeps you comfortable in hot weather, these waders have other characteristics that boost comfort.
For starters, these waders are waterproof, so you never have to worry about leaks when enjoying your favorite sport. They also have a loose fit, which makes it easy to move without any restrictions. We also love that the waders are fairly warm, which makes them an excellent option for colder months.
The majority of fly-fishing gear manufacturers make waders in one design but different sizes. As a result, they’re not always flattering because men and women have different body shapes.
Orvis goes an extra mile by providing various style options to suit their different customers. For instance, the Orvis Encounter Waders for women cater to their wide range of bust, hip, and waist measurements. As a result, the waders look nicely fitted thanks to their made-to-measure appearance.
Orvis Encounter Waders Review: Our Take
Image from Pixabay
There are several features we believe a good pair of waders should have. First, the waders must be breathable. The fabric used shouldn’t only allow proper circulation but also enable the angler’s perspiration to escape without getting wet.
In addition to this, the waders should be lightweight, especially if you enjoy fishing in hot summer weather. And if you plan to fish in near-freezing water, a pair of waders with insulation features will also come in handy.
We love the Orvis Encounter Waders because they check all the boxes of a quality pair of waders. They’re lightweight, breathable, and most importantly, comfortable.
However, we wouldn’t recommend these waders for near-freezing climatic conditions because they aren’t warm enough. Therefore, if these are your preferred fishing conditions, it may be best to look for a different type of waders.
All in all, we believe the Orvis Encounter Waders are worth every penny.
What Are Users Saying?
- The new standard for value waders
- Outer shell: 100% nylon. Laminate: 100% polyurethane. Liner: 100% nylon
- Kangaroo style handwarmer pocket
- Mesh zippered storage pocket
- Attached, self-fabric gravel guards
This Orvis Encounter Waders review wouldn’t be complete without including customer feedback. Knowing what different people think about these waders after using them will give you an idea of what to expect when you get yours.
We’re glad to report that customers are happy with the Orvis Encounter Waders. George of Fly & Lure praises the waders for their comfort and ability to withstand different temperatures. He has used the waders in subzero temperatures, in summer, and rainy seasons, and he says they’ve held up well.
Besides, George raves about the waders’ durability and leak-proof feature.
Active Junky also reviewed these waders, and they rave about their comfort and durability. However, when they tested it in colder climates, they realized that it doesn’t offer the best insulation. You may, therefore, need to wear shorts or trousers underneath to enhance their warmth.
Overall, buyers have nothing but good things to say in their Orvis Encounter Waders review.
Here’s a summary of the waders’ pros and cons.
How Does It Stack up to the Competition?
If you’ve been searching for the best pair of waders, chances are you want to settle on the best option on the market. For this reason, you may be wondering if Orvis Encounter Waders is the best option at its price.
We decided to compare it to three of the top brands on the market to give you a comprehensive Orvis Encounter Waders review. This way, you’ll be able to make an informed decision.
So let’s find out if Orvis truly gives you value for your money or if you should have your eyes set elsewhere.
- Breathable and durable 4-layer seat and legs with no inside leg seam
- Breathable 3-layer upper for moisture vapor transfer
- Stitched and taped waterproof seams
- Mesh zippered chest pocket for tippet and large leader exit
- Micro-Fleece lined hand warmer
The Hodgman H4 Stocking Foot waders resemble the Orvis Encounter Waders in many ways. For one, both waders have gravel guards to prevent pebbles and dirt from getting into your boots.
Furthermore, the Hodgman H4 Stocking Foot waders also feature an adjustable belt and suspenders to allow you to achieve a customized fit. In addition to this, the waders feature two micro-fleece lined pockets, one flip-out pocket, and one mesh pocket.
However, despite these similarities, one thing makes the Hodgman H4 Stocking Foot waders stand out more. They feature neoprene material that provides excellent insulation in cold climate.
For this reason, if you want a pair of waders that provides you plenty of warmth, the Hodgman H4 Stocking Foot waders may be the best option.
However, you should know that customers have complained about the waders leaking after only a few months of using them. You don’t get this complaint about the Orvis waders.
- DESIGN - Made with premium, highly water resistant, breathable, 4 and 6 layer fabric. Seam tape and Durable Water Resistance coating. Durable 6-ply wrapping on lower ¾ of leg. Single crotch seam with no leg inseam.
- FEATURES/BENEFITS - Made with contour fit, double taped, 4mm 100% neoprene booties that provide warmth, protection, and comfort for your feet. 4-layer, abrasion resistant gravel guards with lace hooks designed to keep rocks and debris out of your shoes.
- EXTRAS - 4-in-1 B.A.P. with zippered pass through and box pockets. Flip out storage pocket. Equipped with belt loops and durable wading belt with quick release buckle. Built with an adjustable chest drawcord and fully adjustable elastic suspenders.
- WADER CARE - Let your wader dry completely between uses if at all possible. Wash wader with cold soapy water. NEVER put your wader in the dryer. It is best to store your waders in a cool, dry place by hanging them from the feet instead of the suspenders.
- WARRANTY - Compass 360 products are covered for one year from the date of purchase against manufacturer's defects. Compass 360 is not responsible for normal wear and tear, commercial use, accidents, abuse, modification, misuse, or improper care.
Another great alternative to the Orvis Encounter Waders is the COMPASS Tailwater Breathable Waders. This pair of waders also has some impressive features you may want to consider.
These waders feature a four-ply nylon construction with six-ply nylon reinforced lower leg full wraps. What’s more, they’re waterproof and breathable to ensure maximum comfort when you’re out doing your thing.
You’ll also love that these waders have plenty of pockets. They feature a chest storage system with a fleece-lined hand-warming pocket for those chilly mornings. Furthermore, these waders have a zippered pass-through pocket and flip-out pocket.
And that’s not all. The COMPASS Tailwater Breathable Waders also feature 100 percent chloroprene neoprene booties that offer great stretch and have a soft heel. The booties are also ergonomically designed to prevent bunching and allow for a comfortable fit for different shoes.
In a nutshell, the COMPASS Tailwater Breathable Waders have a lot of bells and whistles compared to the Orvis Encounter Waders. However, when it comes to functionality, the Orvis Encounter Waders have the upper hand.
Buyers have complained that the COMPASS Tailwater Breathable Waders leak after only a few times of using, which isn’t a problem with Orvis.
- DESIGN - Our Men's Tributary Stockingfoot wader offers a breathable and waterproof 3-Layer upper and 4-Layer lower. Built with proven Simms durability, these dry, breathable fly fishing chest waders promote natural mobility while you negotiate steep trails and deep rivers
- PERFORMANCE - Great for any season. Suspenders and opposing male and female buckles allow a quick waist high conversion for the warm days on the water. Plus a reach-through fleece lined hand warmer pocket for trips in the cold season
- UTILITY AND CONVENIENT - Anatomically engineered neoprene stockingfeet with anti-microbial finish. Equipped with two belt loops with 38 mm nylon waist belt, a reach-through fleece-lined hand warmer pocket, and a front zippered top stash pocket for keeping tools and fly boxes within close range. Tributary waders come ready to accept a Simms Tippet Tender Pocket or Waterproof Wader Pouch both of which are sold separately.
- COMFORT - Stay active, stay comfortable - why compromise? Fishing waders come with a self-fabric gravel guard and gathered elastic bottom hem - designed to prevent aversion on the inner legs and improve articulation and mobility
- WARRANTY - If your SIMMS product fails due to a defect in workmanship or materials, SIMMS will repair or replace your gear and get you back on the water as soon as possible. If your SIMMS product fails due to excessive wear, accidents and breakdown of materials over extended time, SIMMS will make every effort to repair your gear for a reasonable fee. APPROX. WEIGHT: 36.25 oz / 2.26 lb. Machine wash, air dry
Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders are a slightly more expensive option. And surprisingly, they don’t offer any significant features that you won’t get in the Orvis Encounter Waders.
The Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders feature a three-layer upper and four-layer lower fabric that’s breathable and waterproof. Furthermore, they feature anatomically engineered neoprene stockingfeet. The stockingfeet also include an antimicrobial finish.
In addition to this, these waders feature a hand warmer pocket, chest pocket, and zippered stash top pocket.
The waders also come with a belt that allows you to customize the fit. And this feature prevents water from leaking in in case of a fall inside the water. Also, they feature gravel guards to keep your boosts dust and pebble free.
Overall, customers love the Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders. They say they’re comfortable and have great quality. The only complaint has been the belt. Some users don’t believe it’s the best quality.
Therefore, they’re an excellent alternative to the Orvis Encounter Waders if you don’t mind spending a few extra bucks for the additional features.
Orvis Encounter Waders Review: Verdict
It’s not easy to find a pair of quality waders at an affordable price. In most cases, cheap waders lack essential features and won’t offer the protection you need when fly-fishing.
But Orvis Encounter Waders are different. Despite their fair price, we’re impressed that they have most of the features you can only expect in highly-priced waders. Not to mention, you can get them in different sizes, which makes them an excellent choice for someone who wants a set for their entire family.
They may not be the best for cold conditions, but they’re an excellent choice if you fly-fish in the summer and milder months. We highly recommend these waders.
Was this Orvis Encounter Waders review useful? What do you think about these waders? Would you buy them or go for the alternatives? Please share your thoughts and opinion with us in the comments section below. It’s always a joy to hear from our readers.
Featured Image from Pxhere